Friday 23 May 2014

I wish I was the moon...

"I wish I was the moon" 


I secretly think everybody wants to be Mary or George from it's a wonderful life! And who can blame them! They are both babes! 


I want to talk a little about the beautiful fashion and inspiration for creativity that stems from the 40s in this film! Aren't we all always in awe of Mary's hair, rouge and glow? Of course we are! The character of Violet also has incredible vintage outfits throughout the film, with stunning hats and feathers galore!

It's weird to discuss this film at any time other than Christmas, but it's a personal favourite of mine and has significantly helped encourage my interest in vintage textiles, so I felt it was worth a mention! Maybe I'll do a more in depth piece surrounding old school films such as Brief Encounter (ultimate fave) and the likes of Casa Blanca and White Christmas - or maybe a Christmas special!

Anyway, about 2 years ago, my grandmother passed away, she was an incredible arty lady, with the most random fashion sense (probably where I get it from) - yet we discovered some absolute gems when sorting through bits and bobs. Stemming from Victorian Wedding Dresses (tiny!!!), Nigerian Quilts and Cloaks with Iron Lion head clasps (sold to a man in Greece over ebay - crazy man!) However, it had an aura of a hobbit cloak about it, with a perfectly acceptable explanation I am sure. I would have loved to have known the origins of such an item however. I had all sorts of fun with my friends dressing up in all sorts of discovered albeit moth ridden and ruined outfits. A particular favourite was my friend Alex dressing up in Aladin-esque green sparkly trousers, they really suited him!!

Below is a picture of the Nigerian Quilt with an incredible embroidery section! I am exceedingly lucky to have access to a textile research facility, where I have volunteered over the years, and was able to track these yarns. I was pretty sure that they stemmed from Nigeria due to family history, and alas we were correct! Beautiful craftsmanship! 




No comments:

Post a Comment