Wednesday 4 June 2014

"Friends and family are like old quilts they can be stitched back together with love..."

After a strange couple of days... I can now officially say that I have finished decorating my room! It may have taken 1 week and a broken toe to get there...but it's there!
I've been having lots of thoughts about life, and where the wind is going to take me this week. I can safely say it will not be towards the job of a painter decorator, however it did feel like I was doing some exercise, and that's always good.
All sorts of strange things have happened... bumping into old friends who you live next door too yet haven't seen since you were 17, a pigeon landing on ones head, finding my diary from year 7 (amusing!!!) and bonding with my father.
I have been trying to adapt back to life here in Cardiff, both in terms of independence and lifestyle. It's hard going from one thing to another, but it's good to be surrounded by an abundance of music and the arts again!

Anyway...the whole point of this post - I managed to finally finish the half finished quilt from goodness knows how many years ago that we found in my grandmother's house about two years ago, it is more of a wall hanging, but considering its age (cottons used from around 120 years ago) I'm pretty pleased with the result. I had to use a really strong sturdy fabric to back it, as supporting it really was a struggle!

So... here it is :)



Definitely stitched back together with love...and definitely and old quilt...



When sorting out my new bedroom and throwing away hundreds of random bits of crap, I discovered some of my favourite items, so I felt like sharing them with you :) 

I can only tell you that I love this


One of my very clever best friends - Katie Morgan created this incredible typography map! She is a very clever graphic designer and this print perfectly matches the colour scheme of my new room, I have decided to place it in my sewing area as Falmouth has always inspired me creatively!




If you didn't already know, I have an obsession with Singer Sewing Machines, I find their history fascinating!!! 






My suitcase tower :) Hopefully it will get higher... p.s I hope you like the mulberry colour of my feature wall as much as I do.


This record player has been through several members of my family, and now it's mine...whoop!


My favourite of my suitcase collection has to be this little one from one of my best friends Emily! Every time I open it I smile, such a beautiful idea!

I should probably explain this one too! The box on top is from one of my best friends as well, Alex brought me this back from India, I think it is absolutely beautiful, and the amount of work that must've gone into such an intricate design is amazing! The box below was found in my grandmother's house, and was filled with Dewhurst threads. As far as my knowledge goes she did not spoke Cigars??? But I rather like the design of the box!


My new found sewing area haven! 


Being surrounding by an abundance of the arts recently, I have somehow grown very distant from the past 3 years of my life, and this has made me further question what I want to do with my life! 

So, in the meantime, with no clear direction, I've decided to compile ideas for a book about craft, cooking (mainly italian recipes) and perhaps some poems too. I really cannot bake, so unless my lovely friends want to help me out there that one's a no no! I spent the day with Emily and her mum last week, and discussing the idea of a book really helped concretise that perhaps this is the path I should take. I feel a little like Dorothy, but without a yellow brick road, and without the red sparkly shoes... I could make the shoes I suppose. My belief in fate and inevitability is extremely strong at the moment clearly.

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment